PROPER CONDUCT POLICY
The Board of Trustees of the Williston Park Library recognizes that the users of the Library have a right to assume that visits to the facility will be free from harassment, physical discomfort and danger. The Library staff members have the same rights as patrons of the Library. It shall be the policy of the Board of Trustees of the Williston Park Library to maintain in its facility a quiet and pleasant environment conducive to serious study as well as to casual use.
To assure the successful implementation of this policy, the Board of Trustees exercises its authority as outlined in NY State Education Law 262* and declares to all library users that it considers the following to be unacceptable behavior on library premises and accordingly, may result in the loss of library privileges:
The following acts which take place on the Library premises are violations of these Rules of Behavior of the Library:
- Any person who shall cause or threaten to cause physical harm to another person or their property.
- Any person who shall cause or threaten to cause damage to the Library facilities or the materials and/or articles therein, including, without limitation, books or other Library materials and articles, library computers, furniture, etc.
- Anyone who disrupts Library functions or programs taking place on the Library premises.
- Anyone in the Library who has in his or her possession any one or more of the following: illegal drugs, alcoholic beverages, firearms or any other weapon.
- Any person wearing a mask or other device which hides his or her identity, excluding any covering worn for religious observances.
- Any person who has unpleasant body odor so strong as to constitute a nuisance and/or infested or filthy clothing or personal effects.
- Anyone inappropriately dressed (shirts and shoes must be worn at all times)
- Anyone under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Animals are not permitted in the Library except to assist disabled persons, for authorized exhibits or for instructional presentations.
In addition to the above listed prohibited acts, the following activities occurring on the Library premises constitute violations of the Library Rules of Behavior:
- Use of cellular phones is prohibited.
- Sleeping, loitering, cursing, panhandling, gambling, skateboarding, running or creating loud disturbances; preventing another person from using the library facility, following or stalking a person through the library; staring at a person with intent to annoy; making suggestive or lewd comments or conversation that could be perceived as inappropriate by another person.
- Eating, drinking, smoking, spitting, littering.
- Harassment of employees or persons lawfully on library premises. Harassment of employees or other persons, directed at them because of their race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age or disability.
- Electronic devices may not be used except with headphones, and then only as long as no ambient sound comes out of the headphones.
- Conducting meetings or other group activities without authorization of the Library.